Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Lights and Baptisms

This past week I was asked by a few of my one on ones (see my first and second blog) to baptize them because they had never formally been baptized.  I felt very unqualified and yet honored to do it.  It was a little awkward since we had to go to a river to do it, but I was reminded that rivers are generally where most of the first Christians were baptized.  I was also reminded that baptism has so much symbolism in it.  To be baptized isn't just to have sins "washed away".  It's a symbol of being raised out of death and into life.  It was an honoring experience and I hope to do it again.  Also, this week the DTS has started working with a church called "Maroochy Baptist", which is where we have our lectures.  They put on a festival called "Christmas Lights".  The go all out during this time with an animal farm, Bethlehem walk, Christmas production, a food court, and other various events.  The students and staff are asked to help out in many different areas.  I am helping with parking as hundreds of people show up each night.  By the end of the festival which runs from Dec 11th to the 24th, they will have had thousands of people come through.  It's a great way to reach out to the community and talk about the real meaning of Christmas.  Some of the students are helping with the coffee shop, costumes, Bethlehem walk, parking, and serving food.  I hope everyone reading this blog has a very Merry Christmas and I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: