Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fare Dinkum

For those of you who don't know, "fare dinkum" is an Australian slang term meaning, "seriously" or "no joke".  I've been trying to add it to my vocabulary but it's been difficult.  I also found out some others that you might enjoy:
Bogan: Is the equivalent of a "Red neck" in the states.  Usually they wear short shorts and love their beat up cars.  They also wear a tank top and wear socks with sandals.  More often than not, they also have a mullet.
Esky: Is the name used for a beverage cooler as in "eskimo box".  Kiwis in New Zealand call it a "chilly bin".
Arvo: It is used in place of the word "afternoon", as in "we are going this arvo."

This past week has been a blur.  I have been spending a lot of time at the offices trying to come up with schedules and writing emails.  In a couple weeks on the 22nd of June, we start staff training.  It is a key part of the DTS and helps all the staff get ready for the next 5 months.  As part of our training we will be taking a retreat in Byron Bay a few hours south of here.  We have a couple of great speakers lined up to talk about leadership.  After staff training, is orientation week with the new students of the July DTS.  For the next two weeks I will spending a lot of time in the office working on all of this.  Please pray for wisdom and patience to get it all done.  
Thank you to all of you who continue to pray and support me while I am over here.  Sometimes I have to tell myself, "I am in Australia working as a volunteer and I have more than I need."  I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments: