Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti Disaster

So I have spent some time reading and looking at the pictures from the earthquake in Haiti. It is really hard to understand such an event taking place and so many people being affected at the same time in the same place. I was reading about how Haiti already has about 80% of its people living at or below the poverty level. As I sit here and write this I am amazed at how much different it is here where we have "building codes", "traffic laws", and other things that keep us safe. With all that our government does horribly, the one thing they do well is security or secure our high standard of living. I think about how secure people in Haiti must feel when buildings are falling down and people don't have a clue where to go for food or water. What would I do in a situation in which multiple family members have died and I don't know what to do next.
Which brings me to my next point. In times in our lives when everything has fallen apart, where do we go? It really makes you assess your current decisions in life. If I was a Haitian with no home, no family, and nothing to look forward to, what would I do? What would I think about God (especially when certain televangelists, who will go unnamed, say God is punishing you for making a deal with the devil hundreds of years ago)? I'd like to believe in Something or Someone good at that point. I'd like to believe that the Gospel was especially for a person like me in this situation. In times like these you'd want to be with someone who could relate to you. A person who felt the same thing and the same pain. I guess that's why I believe God had to become human. You have to be human to feel the pain of humanity. God came to connect with our pain, not to tell everyone they are going to be punished. God came exactly when we needed Him in the way we needed Him most. It is my hope and prayer that the people of Haiti feel and know that God is with them.

No comments: