Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fraser Island and humility

This past weekend, our DTS took a long trip up to Fraser Island which is part of the World Heritage Areas and also boasts the world's largest sand island.  We rented four 4x4 land cruisers and took 29 people onto the island by ferry.  Getting to the rental place was an adventure in itself. We had three vans and three drivers who had no idea how to get there.  To make a long story short, we ended up on a few dirt roads and took a few detours, but we all ended up at the same place a few hours late.  After we got to Fraser Island and off of the ferry, my patience was tested immediately as I figured out I had 5 back seat drivers with me.  It was actually really tough to not be sarcastic or angry with them and I failed a few times.  Also, I felt pressure being the only person in the whole group who had been to the island before because everyone thinks you are automatically an expert on where to go.  I was not an expert and on fact I made some wrong assessments on where to go.  Luckily, we still had a fun time and we made it back to the rental place on time with no extra fees for late return or damage to the vehicles.  As I look back I was a bit stressed but I realize that I did have fun.  It really is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and often times we allow distractions to get in the way of really enjoying the things God has made. As we get closer to outreach I feel like we are getting better prepared through these experiences.  Please pray that God continues to work on us and that we have the right attitude with one another.

No comments: